What do you do when you have a headache or migraine? If you’re like most people, you pop a couple of painkillers and try to get back on track with your day. While painkillers are helpful for the occasional headache, they can begin to wreak havoc on your body if you use them more than two times a week.
Medication overuse headaches can occur if you use over-the-counter painkillers too often. Instead of treating the symptoms of a headache, perhaps you can try to fix the source.
Although you feel the pain in your head, many headaches and migraines originate outside of the head, from areas in the neck and back. When the nerves and other sensitive tissue that line your spinal cord get injured or out of whack, you may feel the consequences in your head. It stands to reason, then, that chiropractic care may solve the root issue of your headaches.
Ready to see what chiropractic care can do for you? Jonas Vorzimer, DC, and the rest of our team at J.V. Chiropractic are ready to make sure you experience less headaches. Here in Walnut Creek, California, Dr. Vorzimer uses a holistic approach to health and wellness helps your body reach its natural state of self-healing and puts you on the road to better health.
Headache and migraine basics
According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent and sixth most disabling illness in the world. Headaches can have many triggers, including environmental stimuli, food, and unhealthy behavior.
According to the American Chiropractic Association, about 5% of all headaches are warning signals accompanied by other physical problems. The remaining 95% of headaches are primary headaches, which include tension, migraine, and cluster headaches. Disease doesn’t typically cause these kinds of headaches, so the headache itself is the main concern.
Most primary headaches are associated with muscle tension in the neck from misalignment. In today’s day and age, we spend a lot of time in sedentary, fixed positions, like sitting at a computer. While perhaps necessary for work, this posture can cause joint irritation, muscle tension, and misalignment in the spine and neck -- which can lead to a headache.
Chiropractic care for headaches
Chiropractic care begins with aligning your spine and alleviating misalignments, also known as subluxations. Dr. Vorzimer will use spinal manipulation to realign your spine and bring it back to a healthy equilibrium.
Some of the chiropractic techniques he may use include:
- Diversified Technique — short, quick hand thrusts over the restricted joint to restore normal range of motion
- Activator Method — handheld Activator Adjusting Instrument delivers quick, low-force impulses to the spine
- Gonstead Technique — corrects all subluxations in the spine and stabilizes the pelvic girdle
Correcting the misalignment in your spine helps your body function properly, with increased circulation and less painful pressure on your nerves. You should find that you feel refreshed and less cloudy after an appointment with Dr. Vorzimer. With less tension and pressure throughout your spine, your headache days should decrease.
Your headaches could be solved with chiropractic care. To see if Dr. Vorzimer’s methods will work for you, call our Walnut Creek, California, office or book an appointment online today.